Let Birth Therapies – Course Content
(10 to 12 hours teaching)
- What is hypnotherapy/hypnobirthing?
- How the mind works and influences the body?
- Developing anchors/triggers that promote relaxation
- How negative thoughts, words and experiences affect us
- How other mammals birth
- How the muscles of the uterus work
- The autonomic nervous system
- the release of hormones, in particular oxytocin, endorphins and adrenaline
- the importance of releasing the hormones of birth
- Practice relaxation script
- The 2 simple breathing techniques
- how and when to perform
- Relaxation scripts
- demonstration and practice
- Positions babies adopt during pregnancy
- What influences the position your baby adopts during pregnancy.
- Techniques to encourage your baby to adopt the optimal position.
- Importance of active labour, encouraging baby into the best position for labour and birth.
- Simple massage and other techniques to promote comfort and encourage physiological birth.
- Benefits of perineal massage.
- How they calculate your due date
- it’s a ‘guesstimate’
- Stretch and sweep
- when is it offered, what does it entail, how effective is it.
- Induction of labour
- when, what it entails, risks, alternatives.
- benefits, how it affects your labour and birth.
- Group b Strep
- Onset of labour
- what to expect/signs of labour.
- Practice of a relaxation script
- Comparing birth at home
- in a midwifery-led-unit and obstetric unit.
- Partner’s role
- during pregnancy, labour and birth. It’s all about team-work!
- Birth plans
- it’s more than a plan, it’s about looking at all your options, so that you’re well informed and able to make the correct decisions for you and your baby. This gives you control.
- Includes discussion around whether you wish to have delayed/optimal cord clamping, skin to skin, how you wish to birth your placenta etc…
- Physiological birth
- the different stages of birth and what to expectPractice a relaxation script.
As a clinical aromatherapist I include information and handouts on the use of essential oils and simple massage techniques that will support your labour and birth.
I also offer optional free relaxation classes at regular intervals, somewhere you can share tips, practice the techniques and ask questions.
A free optional 2hr breastfeeding class is also available to all my clients, taught by my colleague Linda, a lactation consultant.
Following completion of the course I offer ongoing support for as long as you feel you need it.