Hypno what? Don’t worry there’s no mind control involved here just lots of information, guidance and support. Despite the common belief that hypnobirthing classes support only normal birth, I can assure you that it’s the perfect preparation for all types of birth.
KG Hypnobirthing is a complete and enjoyable birth preparation course. It shows you how your body functions during birth and how this is influenced by your mind. It ensures that your mind and body work together, resulting in a positive birth experience. You will be taught simple but highly effective
techniques that release any fear, enabling you to relax and feel calm and confident about your birth. I will provide you with all the knowledge you need to make informed decisions regarding your pregnancy and birth, placing you firmly in control at all times.
Why Hypnobirthing Plus? Well, this is no run of the mill hypnobirthing course! Over the last 7 years my course has evolved and continues to do so to ensure that it provides you with everything you require for an empowering and positive birth. As an independent teacher I am able to provide you with all the unbiased, woman centered birth information you will require to identify and support your birth choices. Additionally, along with the course itself you’ll also benefit from my knowledge of essential oils and massage and ongoing free relaxation classes. My colleague Linda (IBCLC) also offers a 2 hr free optional breastfeeding class. It’s important that the couples who attend my classes benefit from all my skills and knowledge.
How it works (in a nutshell)
Grantly Dick-Reed pioneered what we now know as hypnobirthing. In his book ‘Childbirth without Fear’ (1953) he describes the relationship between fear and pain. A woman who is relaxed, confident and calm, releases hormones that make labour efficient, resulting in a gentle birth. This calm and confident state also produces endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers – making birth more comfortable. However, if she is anxious or fearful, adrenaline and other hormones are released making her tense, causing her labour to slow down or stop and making birth a more painful experience.
- Increased knowledge and awareness, which releases fear and builds confidence.
- A calm, relaxed and often more comfortable birth
- A frequently shortened labour
- Reduced or often eliminated need for medication
- Less complications and medical interventions
- A calm and alert baby, which promotes early feeding and bonding
- Partners that play an active and invaluable role during the pregnancy and birth
Hypnobirthing teaching includes:
- How your body works in labour, both physically and hormonally
- The optimal environment for a comfortable birth
- How to make informed choices about your birth
- Birth plan support – your choices and how to communicate them
- Gentle massage techniques that release endorphins, your bodies natural painkillers
- Visualisation exercises and affirmations to keep you grounded and positive
- Information on how your mind and body work in harmony, efficiently and comfortably
- Deep relaxation so you will remain clam and in control regardless of what is happening around you
- Two simple breathing techniques to help your birth
‘The way a woman gives birth can affect the whole of the rest of her life. How can that not matter? Unless the women herself does not matter.’
– Beverley Beech and Belinda Phipps